an almost eightfold increase

An almost eightfold increase in two weeks

The number of active COVID cases in North Vancouver Island has gone through an almost eightfold increase, in the past two weeks. 

Chair Jesse Ketler of the Comox Valley Regional District – courtesy CVRD
Compiled from data released by Island Health – by Roy L Hales

An almost eightfold increase

Island reported 10 cases on February 17th; There were 77 as of yesterday. 

In her second weekly Emergency COVID operations update, yesterday, 

Chair Jesse Ketler of the Comox Valley Regional District, noted that the state of emergency began a year ago. 

The Vaccination roll-out

“This has been a pivotal week in the Comox Valley and the province. Cases are on the rise in our community and this should concern us all. Meanwhile the province of BC has announced their vaccine roll-out plan, with vaccine calls opening on Monday March 8 for seniors who are over the age of 90 this year and indigenous people who are over the age of 65,” she said. 

Seniors can start booking their appointments on Monday and the vaccinations start  on March 15. 

Campbell River city council gave the go-ahead for Island Health to turn the Campbell River Community Centre into the local COVID-19 vaccination facility.

Local Health Area statistics from the BC Centre for Disease Control. Note: This post is connected to the morning broadcast of March 3, 2021. BCCDC released the statistics for the last column, the week of Feb 21 to 27, later that afternoon. Chart compiled by Roy L Hales

Where the active cases are

The BC Centre for Disease Control released statistics for the Local Health Areas where these cases were found, as of last Saturday, Feb 27, on the afternoon of March 3, 2020. Forty-four were in the Comox Valley and 13 in the Greater Campbell River Health Area.

At the time of BCCDC’s previous Local Health Area update (Feb 14-20), 82% of North Vancouver Island’s active cases were in the Comox Valley and the remainder (18%)  in the Greater Campbell River Health area.   

Though the dates of possible exposure all in February, there are now 9 North Vancouver Island schools listed on Island Health’s exposure page:  Seven of these are in the Comox Valley Health Area and two in Great Campbell River. 

North Vancouver Island schools listed on Island Health’s exposure page as of Mar 2, 2021 – compiled by Roy L Hales

Please continue to follow health measures

Chair Ketler closed this week’s update by saying “As the vaccine roll-out expands to more and more people in the coming weeks and months, we are asking everyone to please continue following the health measures. First, stay home if you are not feeling well. That means if you have a cough, fever or are showing flu like symptoms and please get tested. Island Health now offers an easy gargle test option. Only socialize with your household. There are no safe bubbles anymore. Please follow Provincial Health guidelines and avoid gathering with anyone who doesn’t live with you. When you are in the community, wear a mask. Wash your hands, sanitize them and remember – do not travel outside your community unless it is essential.” 

Links of interest:

This program was funded by a grant from the Community Radio Fund of Canada and the Government of Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative

Top photo credit: The last straw by Bennilover via Flickr (CC BY SA, 2.0 License)