Are you doing anything for earthquakes?
The topic came up within a larger conversation, in which SRD Protective Services Coordinator Shaun Koopman described the emergency preparation grants the District is applying for.
I asked him, “Are you doing anything for earthquakes?”
“Not with any of the grans specifically. Unfortunately aside from the Union of BC Municipalities grants to help with communications, there is not a lot of funding for earthquake and seismic notation mapping. That is what it is. I do sit on the province’s Seismic Safety Council and I’ve advocated for that for a number of years,” replied Koopman.
Installing Sea Cans, with emergency supplies, in rural areas
He added, “Through the Emergency Support services grant, we have been staging Seacans with a mixture of group lodging an post earthquake supplies in all of our rural communities. If all the dominos fall according to plan, this year every major area in the SRD, including Cortes Island, will have a Seacan in their area. Now it is not stocked with enough food, water and shelter for the whole island for two weeks, It is a bare bones start, but at least it is something.”
Links of Interest:
- (Cortes Currents) Building up Cortes Island’s emergency preparedness systems
- (Cortes Currents) articles about, or mentioning, Shaun Koopman
- (Cortes Currents) preparations for an earthquake within our region
- (Cortes Currents) Emergency Communications
- (SRD) Emergency radio communications team
- (Cortes Radio) CKTZ Signs MOU with Strathcona Regional District
- (Cortes Currents) Community Resiliency Investment grant
- (Cortes Currents) The updated Cortes Island Community Wildfire Protection Plan
- (Cortes Currents) How Cortes Island could benefit from a superior tanker shuttle service
- (Cortes Currents) Assessing the danger of sea level rise on Cortes and Quadra Islands.
- (Cortes Currents) articles mentioning the BC Union of Municipalities
- (Gov of BC) B.C. Earthquake Immediate Response Plan
- (Gov of BC) Seismic Mitigation Program (for schools)
- (ArcGIS) Earthquake Mapping Part I: One Symbol from Multiple Fields in Arcade
- (ArcGIS) Earthquake Mapping Part II: The Cartography of Time, Magnitude, and Alert Levels
- (SRD) Emergency Support Services
- (SRD) Household & Community Preparedness
- (Cortes Currents) Potlatch Road NEPP
- (Cortes Currents) Quadra Island NEPP
- (SRD) Evacuation plans & maps
Top photo credit: Seacan from Tahsis – courtesy SRD
Sign-up for Cortes Currents email-out:
To receive an emailed catalogue of articles on Cortes Currents, send a (blank) email to subscribe to your desired frequency:
- Daily, (articles posted during the last 24 hours) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Digest cortescurrents – email@example.com