What’s under the surface?
CORTES CURRENTS is a project of the Cortes Island Media Society, a brand new (in progress!) non-profit organisation which will soon incorporate under the BC Societies Act.
The mission statement of this Society is:
- To provide the residents of the Cortes Island area with topical local news coverage produced to professional standards, including fact-checking and archiving.
- To present all sides of controversial issues without influence from advertisers or private owners.
- To promote and practise a civil, well-informed public discourse on current events and issues affecting the island.
- To promote writing, research, and critical thinking skills among island youth.
- To record and preserve the history of Cortes Island for future generations.
The Society is at present privately funded by donation. We thank the generous donors who helped to make our first year of operation possible. If you would like to donate to support this project, contact Cortes Currents; even a small amount will help us to keep publishing independent journalism for Cortes and beyond. If you would like to support this project by submitting an article or audio/video clip, we welcome submissions that meet our Editorial Policy.
— De Clarke, April 7 2019