Where the FireSmart funds are going
According to Shaun Koopman, SRD Protective Services Coordinator, “So for Cortes Island this is about $180,000 of wildfire risk reduction.”
This money will be used for renovations at:
- the Linnaea Farm Education Centre and Gorge Hall, which serve as emergency support service facilities in the advent of an evacuation.
- the Whaletown Fire Hall
- a 4-hectare Wildfire Fuel Treatment on Cortes Island through activities such as pruning, thinning and removing ladder fuels to reduce both the amount and continuity of burnable vegetation.
“We will be looking at all their critical infrastructure and community buildings, There is a template that you fill out for them and then submit that template to the province for further funding,” said Koopman.
Building renovations on Cortes & Quadra
Koopman went on to describe the renovations that will be carried out at each Cortes and Quadra location.
- Camp Homewood – replacing the cedar shake roof with a metal roof
- Gorge Hall – fixing gaps on the building; putting up fireproof siding in the lower part of the building; installing multi-pane windows; putting a fire proof partition around the generator
- Linnaea Farm Educational Building – replacing the wooden deck and stairs with a metal deck and stairs; installing a fireproof base along the structure of the building
- Quadra Island Bible Church – closing in the sides of the building with fire resistant materials
- Whaletown Fire Hall – removing some of the outbuildings and a mobile trailor
He said that the SRD has Memorandum of Understandings in place with each of these Cortes and Quadra non-profit owned facilities, to support Emergency Support Services during a disaster.
Koopman explained, ”For many years, these organizations have been incredible supporters of our regional emergency program through hosting training sessions and engaging in numerous emergency planning conversations. It feels great to be able to provide them with meaningful funding to decrease the wildfire vulnerability of their facilities.”
Links of Interest
- (Cortes Currents) SRD seeks grant reducing wildfire risk to community buildings
- (SRD) Staff Report & FireSmart Grant application
- (Cortes Currents) articles about, or mentioning, the FireSmart program
- (Cortes Currents) articles about, or mentioning, Shaun Koopman
- (Gov of BC) FireSmart
Top photo credit: Segment of Gorge Hall’s lower wall to be fireproofed – photo courtesy SRD
Sign-up for Cortes Currents email-out:
To receive an emailed catalogue of articles on Cortes Currents, send a (blank) email to subscribe to your desired frequency: