Folk U Radio’s Reporters Roundtable on CKTZ: where we go in-depth on today’s big issues from a small community perspective with the journalists that are researching and writing about them from within these communities. Today’s topic is the unique nature of the the Housing Crisis in rural/isolated and small communities.
Cortes Island the home of CKTZ Cortes Community Radio. Wherever you are I invite you to take a moment to think about the land, beings, and people that make up the place you call home and those that came before you. The Cortes Community Radio station is on the unceeded territorial lands of the Klahoose, T’liammen, and Homalco peoples. Thank you to these people, thank you to all the people who have walked this land through time and those that continue to love and work to honour this place we call home, and thank you to this land.
- Shalu Mehta is a reporter for The Discourse in the Cowichan Valley and on the West Shore. She has worked at news outlets throughout Canada is the recipient of the Jack Webster Award for Excellence in Science, Technology, Health and Environment Reporting (2019).
- Rochelle Baker is a Quadra Island resident and local journalism initiative (LJI) reporter with the National Observer who covers issues in the Discovery Islands and the North Island region. (Some of her articles are reposted on Cortes Currents)
- Roy Hales is the editor of Cortes Currents (formerly the ECOreport), which has been a local news website and program on Cortes Radio since 2014.
- Marc Kitteringham is with the Campbell River Mirror where he writes about environmentalism, housing, emergency services and local government, as well as any other topic that piques his interest. Previously he lived on Salt Spring Island, where he worked as a reporter covering similar topics.
Each of these reporters has been living, researching and writing about the issues important to people living on the islands and has experience at looking at the issues of the housing crisis from the unique lens of small, isolated communities. Now let’s hear from our experts.
Links of Interest:
- (Cortes Currents) Housing
- (Cortes Currents) Affordable Housing
- (Cortes Currents) Affordable Rentals
- (Cortes Currents) Cortes Island Senior’s Village
- (Cortes Currents) Rainbow Ridge
- (Cortes Currents) Quadra Island Seniors Housing Society
- (Cortes Currents) Seasonal Homelessness
- (Cortes Currents) Homelessness
Top photo credit: Shared courtyard in the Cortes Seniors Village – Roy L Hales photo