This program was funded by a grant from the Community Radio Fund of Canada and the Government of Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative.
A hearing date has been set for Noba Anderson vs the Strathcona Regional District, in the Supreme Court of British Columbia courthouse at #500 – 13th Avenue, Campbell River, B.C., sometime during the assize week starting November 23, 2020.
Regional Director Anderson is seeking court costs from a frivolous lawsuit brought against her last year. The SRD Board refuses to pay and, according to Anderson’s affidavit, censured her for showing confidential SRD documents to her lawyer while seeking his legal advice. Director Anderson seeks to have that motion of censure quashed.
Anderson’s lawyer filed her suit on July 13th.
The lawyers for both sides agreed that the hearing will take 3 days.
Links of interest:
- (Cortes Currents) – articles about Noba Anderson vs SRD (including repost from National Observer LJI)
- (Campbell River Mirror) – Cortes Island area director sues Strathcona Regional District
- (Cortes Currents) – news and opinion articles about the SRD censuring Noba Anderson
- (Campbell River Mirror) – Strathcona Regional District board passes censure motions against Cortes Island director
- (SRD press release) – SRD passes censure motions
- (SRD press release) – SRD Board Decides to Not Indemnify Director Anderson
- (Cortes Currents report of trial) – No Conflict of Interest
- (Campbell River Mirror account of trial) – Petitioners concede no conflict of interest against Strathcona Regional District Director
- (Campbell River Mirror) – Strathcona Regional District won’t cover director’s court costs
Top photo credit: Regional Director Noba Anderson outside the courthouse in Campbell River on June 10, 2020. – Roy L Hales photo.